How to kill a morning and have a mini adventure

These past few weeks have been pretty manic what with me starting a new job and still trying to catch up after the disastrous and disruptive week we had at the beginning of the month. Meaning that we've had little opportunities for outings and adventures recently, which I feel a little bad about!

So when I asked Theo one morning last week what he would like to do for the day, and he answered go to the big station, I thought it was the perfect way to kill the morning, whilst doing something fun, a little out of the ordinary (for us) and relatively cheap and easy. So a trip on the local trains it was!

I've mentioned before that sometimes we like to just go and sit at our local station for half an hour and watch the trains (wild, I know) for something to do, but we rarely actually have to get the train anywhere. Probably because I have a car, and that we live half an hours walk from two stations that they just aren't that convenient for us. So this is still quite a novelty and a fun little adventure for Theo (and me!).



We arrived at the station just in time for a train, and watched it arrive and boarded. We found a seat and waited for the tunnels, and talked about the things whooshing by the window. Theo loves talking to the ticket collector and is in charge of paying for the ticket, and keeping it safe.
We arrived at the 'big station' (Temple Meads) and found a bench to sit on and watch trains pulling in and out of the station. We could see the rain lashing down in showers outside and felt content to sit in the dry talking and watching the world go by. Eventually our tummies started to rumble so we made a dash for it in a break in the weather and headed to a cafe close to the station for a sandwich.


We made our way back to the station and boarded our train home, satisfied from our mini adventure on the trains!

Comments

  1. That looks a lovely adventure. I'll have to take Izzy on the train on her own while the kids are in school. I've been going on the train more frequently to events recently and see lots of people in random places on a deck chair just sitting watching the trains. :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this!! I must do this with my youngest - he would absolutely love to go on a train trip and it would be so easy for us to do it. I'm going to make this a plan for the next week or two.... Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely pics, Wilf has really gotten into buying and getting the ticket stamped whenever we go anywhere! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah that's such a lovely, simple adventure. A perfect way to spend a morning :) x

    ReplyDelete
  5. my daughter and I used to love getting the train anywhere and everywhere...but not too long ago she developed a real fear of them and we are still trying to get to the bottom of what happened. she will approach them and go on them now but is still visibly scared. its pretty upsetting! Your pictures reminded me of how much she used to love them. I might share them with her in the morning to remind her too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great adventure! We live half an hour's drive from our nearest train station and the train that leaves from there is always heaving so it wouldn't be much fun, more an expensive nightmare! I expect Cherry would love it though, and J when he's a bit older so I must try and plan it at some point x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! Simple but what a great adventure for him!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous pictures! Temple Meads is actually a pretty cool station to hang out in - far more interesting than Parkway at least!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Why not leave a comment?!

Popular Posts